If you're still having trouble getting device discovery to recognize your Konnected devices on the network, you can use a tool called Wireshark to view the traffic on your network and definitively determine if your router is allowing the discovery traffic normally as it should. Wireshark is a free and open-source tool that works on both Windows and Mac.
The purpose of this exercise is to determine if your network is correctly passing SSDP traffic from your SmartThings hub or Home Assistant box to your wireless network.
- Download Wireshark from the wireshark.org website.
- Make sure that the computer that's running Wireshark is connected to the same wireless network as your Konnected device(s). Disconnect any wired ethernet from this computer for the duration of this test.
- Note the ip address of your SmartThings hub or Home Assistant box. You can usually get this from your router's status page.
- Launch Wireshark and enter ssdp in the display filter box. This will filter the output to only show SSDP traffic.
- Click the blue shark fin button to start the network capture. You should begin to see output from devices on your network that are broadcasting SSDP. Many smart home devices use this protocol, including Chromecast, Google Home, some smart phones, etc; so it's common to see lots of output here.
- Start the discovery process again while the Wireshark capture is active.
- Look for a capture line where the Source IP address is the IP address of your SmartThings hub or Home Assistant box.
- The screenshot above pictures a "healthy" network. In this case, the SmartThings hub is using IP address 192.168.86.200 and we can see it broadcasting SSDP packets. Drilling in to the Simple Service Discovery Protocol section, you can see it's searching for urn:schemas-konnected-io:device:Security:1.
- If you do not see any SSDP packets originating from your SmartThings or Home Assistant IP address, then this indicates that SSDP traffic is being blocked or is otherwise not reaching your WiFi network. Consult your router or firewall user's manual or support website for help configuring your router properly to pass SSDP traffic to the wireless network.
There are many different types of routers and modems out there. Konnected Suppport can not give specific advice or support for your router configuration.