Konnected is built on top of the open source NodeMCU firmware which means that you can easily flash your device with the latest firmware and software using open source tools.
Skip this step!
When you buy from konnected.io, your device is already pre-loaded with the latest firmware and software. These steps are only necessary if you're upgrading from an earlier version, or using your own compatible hardware.
Flash using the Konnected Flash Tool
We've created a downloadable flash tool for Windows and Mac to make flashing very easy. Follow these steps to flash the latest firmware and software to your device:
- Download and install the device driver for your operating system and Konnected hardware version. This allows your computer to communicate with the device via a USB connection.
- Download the Konnected Flash Tool for your operating system.
- Download the firmware .bin file and filesystem .img file from the latest Konnected GitHub release. Or, if you are flashing a beta or pre-release firmware, navigate to the desired branch on the Konnected GitHub project and look for the .bin and .img files in the firmware directory.
- Disconnect the power first, then remove the NodeMCU WiFi module from the wiring base. Plug the WiFi module to your computer using a data quality micro-USB cable.
- Launch the Konnected Flash Tool that you downloaded in step 2 and select the device port from the USB Serial port drop-down list. On Mac it’s something like
/dev/cu.wchusbserial1410and on Windows something like
COM3(the numbers at the end may be different on your system).
Check your cable
If a serial port doesn't show up in the drop-down box, check your USB cable. Make sure it's a high quality cable that is capable of transmitting data.
- Click Browse next to Firmware image and Filesystem image and locate the files in the firmware directory of the Konnected release that you downloaded in step 3. The files should be clearly labeled firmware and filesystem.
- Click Flash Now to begin flashing. The process only takes about a minute and you can watch the progress in the Console output.
- Once you see Done. printed in the console output, it's safe to unplug the WiFi module. Replace it into your wiring base and reconnect the power.
- Follow these instructions to re-sync your device settings from your home automation hub.
Flash using command line tools
The Konnected Flash Tool is just a wrapper around the Python based
esptool. You can flash the Konnected firmware and filesystem directly using
You need to have Python installed on your computer for this.
pip3 install esptool
- See scripts/flash for usage.