Change a zone to a switch with the ESPHome firmware

how can i change a zone to be a switch in homeassistant for a piezo buzzer

Hope this is helpful for you?

1 Like

I have some newer documentation here:

The help.konnected.io site is our old support platform which is mostly fully migrated over to the new platform on support.konnected.io. This article is still relevant, but updated on the new platform. We’ll soon be shutting down the old platform and redirecting traffic to support.konnected.io.

1 Like

If you only need 1 switch and 1 alarm, consider re-purposing Alarm2 GPIO5. It’s one of 3 switches already in the code and should be easy to use with Homeassistant.

Thanks Nate, but there’s literally nothing in that document regarding a “switch”. I am still trying to figure out how it works, I have this in my ESPHome Yaml now:

#Override section: Switch
switch:   
  - id: zone1
    name: Zone 1
    pin: $zone1
    platform: gpio
    icon: mdi:lock

And I commented out: # - packages/alarm-panel/zone1.yaml, is this how it should be done?

Another question I have regarding switches: Is there a way to change the default switch state when rebooting / powering on the Alarm Panel Pro?

You’re right, it looks like I’m missing an article about changing inputs to outputs. Yes, if you want to make Zone 1 a switch, what you’ve shared is exactly how to do it. The default for a switch is logically off or low at boot, and high means logically on.

If you need to invert the switch where low means on, then:

switch:
    pin: 
      number: $zone1
      invert: true

see: GPIO Switch — ESPHome

If all you want to do make it default to on every time it boots, then:

switch:
    pin: $zone1
    restore_mode: ALWAYS_ON

see: Switch Component — ESPHome

1 Like

I just added a new knowlege base article on this topic. Please let me know if this is helpful and if you have any suggestions to improve it:

Thank you, this is very helpful!

A valuable recommendation could be the inclusion of a section for advanced users, where comprehensive details about all available variations can be found. Take for instance, the “Always on” feature you mentioned in your earlier message. It seems there’s a lot more to explore as I’m not completely familiar with all the options yet.