Arm delay

Hey guys! I just finished setting up my new beeper, to discover that the main purpose I had in mind for it seems to not be possible.

Most HomeKit/homebridge security systems have a way to configure a delay for "Away" arming, as typically you would arm your system in the house and then leave through your front door. But I can't find any way to do this with Konnected's security system. To be clear, I'm talking about setting the system to away, the "Security System" device in Homekit shows "Arming...", the beeper begins to beep, then after a preconfigured amount of time, the beeper turns off and the security system is set to "Away".

Is this possible? Am I missing something? This seems like a pretty important feature for a security system.

If it's not implemented in the current homebridge plugin, it seems that it may not be too hard to do so  (especially since the code for the alarm trigger delay already exists), so I may have a stab at it.

Thanks so much!

Before, I answer this fully. Is there a reason, beyond traditional convention, how this feature is needed in your setup?

Hi! I need it because everyone here uses the home hub iPad (next to the front door) to arm the system for away, and then leaves the house through the front door, and that's how they're used to doing it.

So yes and no? Depending on how you look at it, haha

I'm not sure when this feature will get attention considering I didn't intend for this feature to be a thing. My rationale was that if you're using HomeKit to control your alarm system, that everyone else in the home would be using HomeKit as well. And in that case, it would likely be on everyone's phones (they are in my house). At that point, it's just a matter of a little human-reprogramming to arm the house after you've already left.

If the other people in the home are not on an iPhone, or they aren't allowed to have an iPhone, then that becomes a conflict of responsibility as well as a conflict of platform and maybe choosing a more brand-agnostic approach would definitely be a more suitable choice (like SmartThings, Hubitat or Home Assistant).

I can't help but resolve that this feature was something from the traditional alarm system era where there was no wireless remote arming of an alarm system available. The only way to arm the alarm system securely was with the alarm panel within the home with the countdown feature was to allow the person time to leave before setting off the alarm.

After some research, I've found a couple justified reasons why having a security mode delay is still necessary:

- for cleaning staff or pool cleaners to exit and set the alarm before leaving after cleaning your house or pool
- for the nanny to exit the house and set the security system while dropping the baby off at day care

- in commercial applications such as an office, to allow staff without remote access to set the alarm when leaving

I will put this on the project board. At this time, there is no estimate when this will be completed - but it's in my list of things to work on.

Hi Mike, 

I thought this feature would depend on what system you're linking Konnected too. For exampler, i use smartthings which has a delay feature buil in via the STH monitor. 

One thing it does miss is the audible notification (beep beep beep) that people are used to having in conventional alarms. Is there anything for this 

Thanks in advance. 

Guys, Im wanting the same setup?  Isn't the buzzer and arm delay supposed to make this work?

Hi. I just bought a Konnected Pro alarm and it arrived on Friday. I have installed the panel and the plugin and the first thing I went to configure is this :0

We have a similar case, an iPad in the centre of the house - the exit delay beeps give confirmation that the alarm will be set in 30 seconds and a chance to leave out of two ends of the house. For us, we have kids that need to set the alarm but don't have phones. 

Any ideas for a workaround? maybe a dummy switch that starts a timer, makes something (doesn't have to be the alarm's piezo) beep then set to away when the countdown gets to zero?

Great work on the plugin BTW, its really easy to set up and the documentation is excellent. 

I made an exit delay work by using a dummy switch's timer and automation to arm the alarm. Just need some audio feedback so you know how much time you have to get out before it arms. 

When returning home, I can't think of any way to postpone the alarm going off. I guess I could put a keypad or fingerprint reader etc on the outside of the house and have a successful authorisation disarm the alarm before opening the door.

I am finally on vacation and will be working on this feature!

Awesome!!

That’s great news (that you a get vacation :stuck_out_tongue: )
Thanks for working on this. I had a OK workaround for arming, but worried that getting the disarming wrong would wake up the entire neighborhood.
Happy holidays.

@Mike Kormendy - how is the vacation going??? Any progress on the entry/exit delay feature?

I am from the UK and I have just bought 2x Main Boards and 2x Add On's. I am setting the cards up on my desk to simulate how I want my system to work before taking the old system out. I was reasearching how to do the entry/exit delay and stumbled on this thread - it's a fundamental feature of a traditional system.

For clarity on the use case:

In most traditional UK systems, you assign an entry/exit door (this is normally the front door and the traditional keypad for the alarm is normally very close to it). 

Leaving the house (arming the system)

Upon arming the system, you get a beep from an internal buzzer for approx. 30 seconds. This 30 seconds gives the person leaving the house sufficient time to close and lock up the entry/exit door. Once the 30 seconds has expired, the beeping stops which indicates to the homeowner that the system has gone into Armed mode.

Returning to the house (disarming the system)

Upon returning home, the homeowner opens the front door and the internal buzzer sounds again for approx. 30 seconds. This beeping is essentially reminding you to disarm the system. Should the homeowner not disarm the system within the 30 seconds period, the external siren kicks in and all the neighbours come around to see what's going on.

Please can you let me know when this is available?

Thanks

Ed

Ed, well aware of the operations of alarm systems. I'm working on it.

Hi Mike, I didn't mean to be rude, I geniunely didn't know if the old US alarm systems worked differently to those in the UK. I shall delay my install until your code update is completed (I am more than happy to be a beta tester for you as I build my system up on the bench).

Thank you for working on it - greatly appreciated.

Ed

Not to worry, I’ve been planning a sequential launch over the following week. Testing has been successful for some of the code changes I’ve made. And this feature included.

Sorry this took me so long to get to.

Hey Mike - any idea on when you may do the launch?

Thanks for keeping after this one!!

Jay

Hey Jay et al,

As promised I've been able to find time to work on this, please see my progress with testing in a short video I made.

I am working on having the beeper countdown get progressively faster like traditional alarms do, as well as a switch for silent arming of the alarm.

Two other features that are directly tied to this implementation are the sensor bypass feature and arming-cancellation if a sensor is open while attempting to arm if the sensor isn't set to be bypassed.

I can't release anything until the entire orchestration for these features is completed.

Regardless, here's the video: https://youtu.be/Pq1gz16EHFg

Thank you Mike for the great communication! I love to see the progress.  

Let me know if you need any beta testers!!