Switches not working with 0.1.0 beta of Konnected plugin for homebridge

Answered

I am copying my original post: 

Thank you Mike for your work. I was very excited to try this out. I have an Alarm Pro and all of my contact sensors work. However I am having difficulty getting the piezo buzzer to work as a switch or my siren to sound. I can activate them using the 'accessories' in home bridge and change their states from 'false' to 'true' however I do not get any noise. Also the HomeKit switches for the alarm or buzzer do not seem to change the accessory state in Homebridge per the log. Any ideas?

• Sure thing. At the bottom of the log is where I flipped the switches with no sound

Would there be a way to use a multimeter to verify a voltage change across the Konnected where the switches are attached? I have a feeling there is no change in voltage as they had worked before

txt
    json
    (5.08 KB)
  • Hi Fred,

I'm struggling to find a way to reproduce your piezo buzzer issue. I have tested the code with the Konnected Pro panel and the piezo buzzer I have and it works reliably as expected.

I did notice that you have assigned an actuator/switch as "Generic Switch" ("switch" in the config) to the two zones which I assume one is the piezo buzzer, versus assigning "Alarm Siren Switch" ("siren" in the config) for that zone instead. It really shouldn't matter though because they all end up creating an actuator in the panel itself anyhow.

Another thing I remember you mentioning is that you were switching the polarity of your piezo buzzer to try and get it to work in your previous setups. If this is the case, you could have inadvertently damaged the piezo buzzer. I asked the Konnected hardware team and they say that piezo buzzers are susceptible to damage from not properly using the outlined correct polarity that the piezo buzzer comes with. I also think that's the reason why piezo buzzers have that sticker on them indicating which terminal on the buzzer is positive or negative.

That being said, there'a s couple things you can do to determine if the piezo buzzer is damaged:

1. you can buy another one, they're incredibly inexpensive ($1 each), https://konnected.io/collections/shop-now/products/piezo-sounder-for-konnected-beep

2. you can try and restore your old setup, pre-Homebridge, to see if the buzzer works in that scenario reliably and consistently

Please try either of those two things and get back to me.

• Hi again Fred,

I did see a warning my logs when I assigned a zone as a Alarm Siren Switch that says:

Invalid Zone: Konnected Pro Alarm Panels cannot have zone 7 as an actuator/switch. Try zones 1-8, 'alarm1', 'out1', or 'alarm2_out2'.

However, the actuator/switch was created in Homebridge and HomeKit and still operated normally regardless of that notice.

I've already fixed this on my end and still the piezo buzzer confidently makes a noise as it did before.

Regardless, the warning will be corrected in an upcoming update.

• Thanks for the reply. I actually have two different piezo buzzers in different locations. I am pretty sure both of them work and have verified the polarity. I don’t think I damaged either of them and only one of them did I experiment with changing polarities. I will see about restoring to a smart things setup to see if that works and get back to you
  • So after a bunch of trial and error I finally got it working for now. The piezo’s work fine. There seems to be a delicate art to getting the konnected to provision properly. The process that seemed to get all the buzzers working was : delete the Homebridge plugin and all config settings, reflash the Konnected, reinstalling the plugin, then adding all zones, restarting the server. It seemed that if I would add a few zones and then come back after restarting the Homebridge and add a few more zones, things wouldn’t work and I would eventually get a non responsive Konnected that had to be reflashed. At this point I don’t want to add any more zones or alter my set up as it seems so delicate. Have you had any issues in adding zones over time? Also I wonder, but can’t confirm if setting the delay or pulse duration of the piezo buzzer too low may cause some issues. I was going for a quick beep like you hear with commercial systems, but I can’t seem to hear a difference below 50ms. Below 10ms I get a solid tone. This may have nothing to do with the crashes and unreliability, but something to note. I wish there was more info that I could post regarding the logs, but they seem unremarkable and don’t seem to capture the capricious behavior of the set up...
  • > At this point I don’t want to add any more zones or alter my set up as it seems so delicate. Have you had any issues in adding zones over time?

I have noticed that after I create or modify a zone in Homebridge it doesn't always reflect in HomeKit the immediate next time the panel is provisioned and reboots. However, just restarting Homebridge one more time seems to fix it – this does provision and reboot the panels once more, but nothing changes with the configuration and HomeKit and Homebridge seem to pickup the change permanently after.

• Ok. That makes sense. Any thoughts on what would cause the konnected panel to become unreachable? There is usually a solid blue light on the device and I have to reflash it. Is something getting corrupted in the provisioning?
  • >Also I wonder, but can’t confirm if setting the delay or pulse duration of the piezo buzzer too low may cause some issues. I was going for a quick beep like you hear with commercial systems, but I can’t seem to hear a difference below 50ms. Below 10ms I get a solid tone. This may have nothing to do with the crashes and unreliability, but something to note.

So I actually can reproduce your issue with the piezo buzzer (Pro boards only) and I just did a search in our tickets and found someone else with the same issue. Apparently there's a bug that was introduced in recent editions of the panel's firmware. There is a patch in the works but it is not released yet due to some concurrent issues holding back the release, one of which you have also noted...

>Any thoughts on what would cause the konnected panel to become unreachable? There is usually a solid blue light on the device and I have to reflash it. Is something getting corrupted in the provisioning?

I'm not exactly sure what is causing this, but there are issues with recent Pro firmware in general and not isolated to Homebridge. Again this is being addressed in an upcoming firmware release. I don't know when the latest fixes will be released, but our firmware development team is working on it.

• Ah. That makes sense. I guess I’ll leave things the way they are until new firmware is released. Thanks again for your help
  • Just wanted to post a followup. New firmware seems to solve issue where alarm Pro would need to be refreshed. Also I haven't had any issues with crashing of the device when altering settings. Lastly the beeps on the piezo actually work with shorter delays. Will let you know if anything else comes up. 

• Hi Fred, glad to hear!