Installation in new construction

Howdy!

So, I have no idea what I'm doing--let's get that out first so there's no ambiguity--however I am a technically capable individual since I've been a software engineer for 15 years or so. I'm a bit out of my league with getting my konnect board up and running because, as you'll see in a moment, the house didn't come with instructions. In the photo's below you'll find a massive bundle of wires with zero labels--so I have no clue where each goes. You'll also see my rack, which I would love to install my konnected board into if possible under lock and key. I've only just begun the research there, so I'm still not sure if it's a good idea and/or even possible. So, what I'd like help with is:

1. How do I wander through the maze of wires and figure out what goes where on my konnect board? I know I have sensors in doors and windows because when I follow the wires they often go to an outer wall, or I can trace a wire all the way back to a door or window in my basement since it's unfinished.

2. What's a recommendation for how to mount this securely in my rack? Locked drawer? Has anyone done something like this?

3. Should I just throw money at the problem and have someone "professionally install" the thing?

Thank you in advance for recommendations/help!

Congrats on the new Home!  I'm currently doing a similar install in a home that was pre-wired but no sensors or alarm panel installed.  Generally 22/2 wire is used for door and window sensors and 22/4 used for keypads, motion sensors, or glass breaks which all require power from your panel.  To do it yourself I'd suggest getting a toner and probe and you can trace the wires to see which one goes where.  Just put the toner on the wire where the window / door sensor is and the probe will show you the other end of the sensor wire at the rack.  Best of luck! 

You could throw money at it, yes, but where's the fun in that?  And that money won't do much to help you further understand how your home works.  Besides that, there's plenty of things you could throw money at in this area even when you're doing all of the work yourself.

I've spent the last few months running cat 6a throughout my entire house. Forty at last count. And just to make the place a little more sellable, it wasn't much extra effort or expense to run quad shielded rg6 to opposite corners of every room.  Now I'm kind of where you're at - looking to add at Konnected system.  I can't help out too much with that as I'm just starting off myself, but I will make some general recommendations about your rack, etc.

My house is about 54 years old and was originally built by my grandparents.  As such, about half of the basement is finished.  What I did though was pick out a corner and take up as much space as other things would allow.  I'm left with a space that will be roughly 8' x 10'.  Not as large as I'd like, but workable nevertheless.  So by default, two of my walls are poured concrete foundation.  After a *lengthy* wait, I should have a mason coming in a couple of weeks to put up two walls of cinder block to close it off.  Some think I'm nuts, but I see nothing wrong with having "more secure" room in the house for things like my network and server rack, a safe, guns, ammunition, and some long term food storage.  I say "more secure" because that's all it is really.  The ceiling is still made of wood.  It's a best effort without going all Alex Jones.

I notice you're running Ubiquiti equipment.  Likewise, I am running their switches and APs and I've made extensive use of PoE for everything from secondary switches, APs, IP cameras, and general removal of most 5V and 12V wall warts.  With home security systems and home networks becoming parts of each other, there's something to be said for properly squirreling away that equipment.