Advice on setting Alarm and detecting it's state

Hi,

I have a 10 year old Texecom Veritas R8+ and I would like to know how to set/unset the Alarm and detect whether it is set.

It's installation manual is here: https://www.texe.com/uk/uploads/INS045-13_(Veritas_R8+_Install)_2.pdf

It shows the pins to connect to a "Communicator":

I don.t know what the Set/Unset pin does, does anyone know whether I can connect to this to detect whether the Alarm is set?

As for setting the Alarm, I guess the only way to do that is to program a zone to be a Keyswitch?

Hi Jason, did you find a solution to this?

I've been working on my Veritas R8 and setting up zones was pretty simple. Programming the key switch seemed fine too - now I just want to sense the armed state and if the siren is sounding.

Any advice?

Cheers, 

Haydn

I also have this setup, have either of you found a solution to this?

For those interested: I've successfully managed to configure Konnected to read the status of the alarm using an Texecom Veritas R8+. We can use the Communicator terminals for this purpose, when setup the status of the alarm is read regardless of how it has been set.

You will need to open the manual at page 9, we are concerned with section '12: Communicator Interface'. Terminal 4, labelled "Set/Unset", is used to report whether the alarm is set/unset rather than arm/disarm it, this is the terminal we will connect to Konnected to read this status.

1. Wire terminal 4 on the communicator pads from the Veritas control board to a spare zone on the Konnected Interface kit.

2. Set this zone as a 'Binary Sensor' when configuring your automation platform, I use Home Assistant.

3. Advance through the setup and configure this binary sensor as something appropriate, I use 'Lock', and give it a name (you may need to come back here if you need to invert the state of this sensor).

4. Tune this sensor as outlined in this support article under the section "Use with Programmable Outputs".

5. Done!

Now when you arm/disarm this alarm this binary sensor state will change, you may need to invert the state of this sensor (in step 3) to reflect your desired state in Home Assistant.

Next you will need to configure your platform to synchronise the relay with the state of the alarm using a custom button, you wont be able to use the switch created by the Konnected integration as this just toggles the relay irrespective of the state of the alarm. This means that you could easily toggle the alarm off accidentally if you've set the alarm using a panel but lets say you have a backup automation to arm the alarm when you leave home in case you forgot.

I have not found the best way to do this yet but I will report back here with instructions on how to do this via Home Assistant.

For those interested: I've successfully managed to configure Konnected to read the status of the alarm using an Texecom Veritas R8+. We can use the Communicator terminals for this purpose, when setup the status of the alarm is read regardless of how it has been set.

You will need to open the manual at page 9, we are concerned with section '12: Communicator Interface'. Terminal 4, labelled "Set/Unset", is used to report whether the alarm is set/unset rather than arm/disarm it, this is the terminal we will connect to Konnected to read this status.

1. Wire terminal 4 on the communicator pads from the Veritas control board to a spare zone on the Konnected Interface kit.

2. Set this zone as a 'Binary Sensor' when configuring your automation platform, I use Home Assistant.

3. Advance through the setup and configure this binary sensor as something appropriate, I use 'Lock', and give it a name (you may need to come back here if you need to invert the state of this sensor).

4. Tune this sensor as outlined in this support article under the section "Use with Programmable Outputs".

5. Done!

Now when you arm/disarm this alarm this binary sensor state will change, you may need to invert the state of this sensor (in step 3) to reflect your desired state in Home Assistant.

Next you will need to configure your platform to synchronise the relay with the state of the alarm using a custom button, you wont be able to use the switch created by the Konnected integration as this just toggles the relay irrespective of the state of the alarm. This means that you could easily toggle the alarm off accidentally if you've set the alarm using a panel but lets say you have a backup automation to arm the alarm when you leave home in case you forgot.

I have not found the best way to do this yet but I will report back here with instructions on how to do this via Home Assistant.

Hi Sam, it might sound like a silly question but when you say ‘wire terminal 4’ do you mean, take the panel off, poke a wire through and solder on the back? Or is there a type of connector pin I need? Never touched a circuit board of anything before so I’m not sure where to start. Thanks.

Hey Patrick, no problem. The terminals that I’m referring to on the Veritas are screw terminals which means that you only need a screwdriver to loosen the connection. Best resource is the Konnected setup video on YouTube, it’s a different board but the process is similar so that should give you an idea.

Ah, then I feel like maybe I’m missing a block of screw terminals. I’ve attached a picture of my board. Thanks for your reply.

It seems you are missing the terminals sadly, here’s an image of mine (top right of the board). What a shame, you probably could solder some screw terminals on there but it’s risky and may not be setup in the alarm firmware.