Homebridge / HomeKit

Now that we’re running Konnected in the cloud, could we get a Homebridge add-on to talk to the Apple Ecosystem without first going through another hub? (I currently get my Konnected devices into HomeKit via the SmartThings Homebridge add-on.)

This is something I want to do. Any Homebridge developers out there that would like to work with us on it on a contract basis, please contact me.

Can't wait!

Hey Nate,

I have written a few plugins for homebridge including updating / expanding one for Xfinity Home that someone started. Since then I’ve learned a bit and written other plugins, feel free to look over my github and let me know how I could be of help! Even if you want to have me teach someone on your team the basics or help write parts of it I’m down for whatever.

https://github.com/wylanswets/homebridge-icontrol-platform

Hey Nate,

I’ve written a few plugins for homebridge, even updated one for xfinity home security system. I’ve learned a good bit about the platform and am willing to help teach someone on your team or help write parts of it. Feel free to look at my github: username is wylanswets

I tried linking it but I think that blocked my post.

Thanks!

Have you guys tried getting official homekit certification?  Homebridge shouldn't be the first route to getting homekit support. I would go through apple and try and get official certification. If that fails for whatever reason then go the homebridge route.

One reason you might want to try homebridge first is to know how your system works with HomeKit before going the expensive route of getting a certification.

It’s also far easier to go the homebridge route as it uses your existing APIs instead of having to program specific new APIs to Homekit. Plus I believe HomeKit requires that the device communicates on the local network and not over a web api.

In short it’s a way to test the waters before committing to it officially.

Nate, I’d help

I am not saying Homebridge support is a bad idea. It's better than nothing! However the purpose of Homebridge is really meant for consumers when device manufactures are not implementing Homekit support themselves. It allows prosumers to take it into their own hands to add unsupported homekit integration. But in this situation when you have a Device manufacture such at Konnected who are listening to consumers and are interested in Homekit support. There shouldn't be a need for Homebridge.  Homebridge's tagline used to be "Homekit support for the impatient" . Directly from the Homebridge readme:

Technically, the device manufacturers should be the ones implementing the HomeKit API. And I'm sure they will - eventually. When they do, this project will be obsolete, and I hope that happens soon. In the meantime, Homebridge is a fun way to get a taste of the future, for those who just can't bear to wait until "real" HomeKit devices are on the market.

As for Homekit certification being expensive, I am not sure what your definition of expensive is but the MiFi program is free besides a one time fee to verify the companies identity. Also most of the Homekit documentation is available not hidden behind the Mifi Program. You can have an "uncertified" homekit accessory still being provided by the manufacturer even without that last final step of certification.  Homekit does require the device to communicate with the Homekit proocol on the local network which is no different than local control that existed before Konnected.io Cloud became a thing. The device can still communicate to Konnected.io cloud while maintaining the local network communication via the Homekit Protocol/ other protocols. Its not a one or none type of deal with the homekit protocol.

Once I get my Konnected system I will write a homebridge plugin if there isn't one already. I recently wrote one for Leviton Decora Smart Wifi devices by reverse engineering their api. Nate - look me up, I'm tabrindle on github.

Awesome, thanks @Trevor. I'm happy to help test it when you get to that point. I'm @turnepf. 

Hey @Trever, I would also be interested in testing if you need any help?

The work in the GitHub repo for Konnected Homebridge is looking great. Thanks to Mike Kormendy's efforts! I installed it just to play around and it's all very intuitive. Nice work! 

@Nate - when do you guys think you'll have a release (beta or otherwise) ready? It appears to be very close!

Again, thanks for the work on this. I'm stoked to see it in action!

patrick@patrickturner.net did you use 

https://www.npmjs.com/package/homebridge-konnected for your setup?

patrick@patrickturner.net how did you install the konnected homebridge plugin? I have been trying to use hoobs to no avail. Do you have any tips?

I just searched for the add-on in the homebridge interface. It could be that it's not available there anymore. Also, it's not ready for prime time, so it won't actually work yet. I just played around with the interface. 

Thank you for the response. I do see a way to set it up I may try. I will let you know if it works out.

Hello all, I'd like to provide an update on Konnected's plugin for Homebridge that is under way.

Current Status

The latest version of the plugin is in a pre-release alpha (0.0.5-alpha) and successfully registers V1, V2 and Pro Konnected boards to work with HomeKit.

Notable functionality:

• Multiple panels can be discovered and provisioned.
  • Panels should now be automatically populated in the Homebridge config.json based on their successful discovery on the network.
  • Config UI X has an interface that can add and assign* the zones which show up in HomeKit.

*Caveat functionality:

• Zones that are assigned, are forced to Contact Sensor functionality (no other zone type will work in this release).
  • A warning in the Homebridge logs is presented when a Konnected panel has been registered with Konnected Cloud - by virtue, a Homebridge plugin will likely never support this.
  • If you add a zone and then change it to another zone, the original zone will persist (this will be fixed in the next release).
  • HOOBS installation & functionality is glitchy and officially unsupported at this time. The Konnected plugin for Homebridge should work interchangeably on HOOBS, however you will have to manually edit the HOOBS config.json per the example here: https://github.com/konnected-io/homebridge-konnected#zone-settings-example-for-configjson

Things that still are not available:

• All other zone types are not available to be assigned to a zone (coming in next release).
  • An alarm controller in HomeKit.

I will endeavor to update this thread with more information as releases become available. For detailed information, please refer to the following links for details:

Installation: https://github.com/konnected-io/homebridge-konnected#installation

Configuration: https://github.com/konnected-io/homebridge-konnected#configuration

Support: https://help.konnected.io/discussions/forums/32000043024

We now have HomeKit support via HomeBridge/HOOBS in beta! Please see this thread for the latest developments and further discussion on the HomeKit front: https://help.konnected.io/support/discussions/topics/32000002279