15-Zone Install w/6 Tablets

Finished installing my Konnected system and am very pleased.

Replaced my existing DSC alarm system with 3 Konnected boards, installed neatly into a custom case. System is accessible via 6 tablets installed in custom wall mounts throughout the home. Used Samsung Galaxy tablets in main living areas and Kindle Fire HD 7 tablets where each of the alarm keypads previously were. Single centrally located 12v power supply provides power to all of the tablets with 12v to 5v converters behind each.

Great working product, great value.

What an excellent job, nicely done! Like the way your tablet is attached to the wall neatly. Any chance I can pick your brains on getting my my system converted?

John - thanks.  I'd be glad to help where I can.  What type of system do you currently have?

Iv got a DS system, what seems to be a backup battery and is within a On Q cabinet with alot of ethernet and coaxil cables. So little confused with this and how it was app connected at one time.

Ive uploadsd pictures on the posting below

https://help.konnected.io/support/discussions/topics/32000001536

Perhaps you can give me some direction? Does all the cabling used for a camera system ? I don have any cameras in the house yet so i assume the previous owner had them removed.

John - I took a quick look at your pictures, and it looks pretty typical.  All the cabling in the panel on the right is specific to your alarm system.  A Konnected.IO system would either replace it or add on to it - depending on whether you are interested in keeping your existing alarm system.  There are pro's and con's of each approach.  Did you have a particular approach in mind, or do you need some help in deciding?

The cabling in the left panel is a combination of Coax (usually used for TV service - cable or satellite) and Ethernet CATn (can't tell if it's CAT5, 5e, 6, etc., but if installed by the builder, it's probably CAT5 or 5e).  Ethernet cabling is usually installed either to bring internet to rooms in your home, or for security cameras (there are many other uses, but these are the two most common).  With respect to installing a Konnected.IO system you likely won't need to use these cables.

With that said, first decision is whether you want to keep your existing alarm system as is, or replace.

Hope that helps,

Michael

Thanks Michael, yes you are right in respect of the cabling on the left, its there to serve TV and internet services to the rooms - rather than used for cameras.
So this I can leave out, i was confused to the backup battery which i think gets connected to the alarm board.

I would like to use as much of the old system (window; motion, door entry, smoke detectors) as possible but add to it where i need another door sensor for example or a camera system. I am would more than happy take suggestions if you have a better route?
I do have alot of the cablig bundled together in zones but would like to split this out where possible. If its a set of windows in 1 room then ok to leave but if the windows for different rooms then i would like to try splitting this - obvously the issue would be trying to identify which wires relate to which section.

John - 

I have a few questions:

• Do you already have a home automation hub installed (for example, SmartThings)?  
  • Is your current alarm system being monitored, and if so, how important is monitoring to you?
  • Did the prior homeowner have cable runs installed for cameras?

Regarding your existing zone wires - I recommend keeping each door as an individual zone, and each bank of windows as an individual zone, when possible.

Not knowing what your budget is, and pending answers to the questions above, one option for an initial setup is:

• SmartThings Hub (if you don't already have one)
  • Konnected  Alarm Panel wired alarm system conversion kit (6 or 12 zones, depending on your existing alarm system)
  • Tablet in place of each existing alarm keypad (your existing keypads are likely not compatible with a Konnected system) - I find that Kindle Fire 7 tablets are a great option - functional, yet relatively inexpensive (can be had for $29 when on sale)
This would allow you to make use of your existing alarm wiring and sensors, while giving you the ability to add additional sensors as needed using SmartThings compatible devices.  It also lays the foundation for further home automation, should you want to go that route (e.g. controlling lights, entry door locks, etc.)

If security cameras are something you may want as well, we would need to understand what (if any) existing wiring is in place, or if wireless was the only option to go with.

Hope that helps,

Michael

Michael, thank you for your reply.

Again, i want to say that I appreciate your time and effort conversing with me on the system and providing the direction I am in need for.

The Konnected forum does not have a DM facility which is unfortunate. May I have your email address to connect with you on the points raised above?

You can send me an email on johnny.five@gmx.com.

Thank you again for thr support and Happy New Year!

Hello Michael, great job on your install! Would you be willing to share where you picked up the custom case for the boards and what tablet case was pictured?

Brett - thanks for reaching out.  Both the Konnected enclosure and tablet wall mount are produced by my company Makes by Mike.  The mounts are available on my Etsy store (https://www.etsy.com/shop/MakesByMikeStore).  I've not yet moved my Konnected enclosures from my existing Shopify site to my Etsy store, but can put up a listing for it this evening if interested.  It comes in both 2 and 3 module variants and includes all mounting hardware and a 3-way (or 2-way) power pigtail.

Thanks,

Michael

Hi, great setup! I am planning my setup and will have at least 4 tablets (Fire 8). I am interested in any info on your 12v power supply… I would like to do that. Also, tried to find your mounting link but it didn’t work. Ty!

Nice setup.  Regarding the 12V power supply, it has a fan and I wanted to know if you can hear it running?  I am considering it,but my enclosure box is in my master bedroom closet and I am sure the wife will complain if she can hear the fan running.  

Thanks!

Chris - thanks for your note.  The fan is pretty silent, as it rarely comes on, and when it does, is barely audible.  LOL regarding the wife - I can relate... 

Michael

Eric - just realized I hadn't replied to your note!!! So sorry.  Let me know if you are still needing the 12v power supply or enclosure info.  I can provide both.

Thanks,

Michael

Michael,

Can you tell me what product that is you're using for the 12v distribution?  Thanks

Jim - it's a 12v power supply.  Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VWV5YCH.

Hope that helps,

Michael

Perfect, thanks! Did you make your own mount for it?

Jim - yes.  The power supply mount is available for purchase from my Etsy store.  https://www.etsy.com/shop/MakesByMikeStore

So the 12 volt is how you power the tablet? Do you use the existing alarm wires and place it in the closet with the rest of the alarm panels?

I have ordered all the parts just need to order a tablet and a Mike’s panel… not sure what else I need for sure.

Richard - yes, I use a 12v power supply that powers all my tablets as well as my Konnected 3-board system.  The power supply is located where my original alarm system panel was located and I use my existing keypad wiring to send 12v down to the tablet, converting from 12v to 5v directly behind the tablet.

Hope that helps,

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Michael