Konnected board / wifi module current draw?

I thought I saw this posted somewhere, but curious as to what these boards draw? I'll be using a regulated DC power supply to power 2 boards and 2-3  tablets... so just looking to size my PS correctly.

@Todd, 

The power consumption on the Konnected ESP8266 is a function of its operational state and any external loads (sensors) which are drawing current. 

I've seen reports the ESP8266 maximum operating current value at 12VDC = 200mA. 

Using a conservative margin of safety of 2X and you have 400mA or 0.4A.

Using your configuration then with 2ea ESP8266 boards for a total of 800mA or 0.80A. 

This doesn't account for any sensor loads connected to the ESP8266 or the tablets you intend to use but maybe a good baseline start for the total loads on your system. 

-Cheers

@Todd, 

The power consumption on the Konnected ESP8266 is a function of its operational state and any external loads (sensors) which are drawing current. 

I've seen reports the ESP8266 maximum operating current value at 12VDC = 200mA. 

Using a conservative margin of safety of 2X and you have 400mA or 0.4A.

Using your configuration then with 2ea ESP8266 boards for a total of 800mA or 0.80A. 

This doesn't account for any sensor loads connected to the ESP8266 or the tablets you intend to use but maybe a good baseline start for the total loads on your system. 

-Cheers

Thanks Greg - the draw of the ESP8266 is what I was looking for.

Wiring them up this weekend!

All,

Keep this in mind - We had to re-do the battery backups as the original batteries would not detect the operating current of the Konnected board while in standby mode (which can be around 30mA in standby mode), you may want to factor that in while you're looking at load values - I do not believe the operational function of the Konnected firmware maxes out its power draw - the motion and glass sensor power, on the other hand, will draw a bit of power, likely 3.3v - 5v depending on the type and model.

As most people will likely already note elsewhere, it's probably not a bad idea to keep your tablets on a separate power supply. The Konnected boards will come with their own 12v DV supply (with pigtails, if necessary), and this will supply up to 2A to the boards. If you try to power the tablets this way, you'll run into a problem, as each tablet requires a 1A draw. If you connect it this way, it will work for a time, but you'll have heat issues, and eventually something will give up. I decided early on to use an ELK624 transformer for the DIY Prototype Kit (here) as well as a separate power supply to run via the 22ga lines that go to each of my two tablets (here). That gave me 12v 5A to work with, so if I had another spot and another line to wire up, I had plenty of amperage to work with.

Are you looking at doing the power supply this way with something similar to this? I've seen it before, and it works really well. I have yet to find out if they heat up at all. I have one almost exactly like this on my 3D printer, and it's a beast, and it doesn't heat up at all, even with a heated bed, extruders and working for 24 hours.

Nathan

Thanks Nathan, I'm not planning to use the included wall wart, just needed to know what the ESP / Konnected current draw was so I can size a PS. I had planned on 1A for each tablet, and will leave headroom for any future motions / glass breaks that I add ( don't currently have any).

Todd