Amazon Fire Tablets to replace keypad

Inspired by Nate, I am working to change out my two alarm keypads with Amazon tablets that I picked off Woot.  I have Fully Kiosk Browser and ActionTiles setup.  Right now I used Android developer settings to keep on while plugged in.  I am thinking of using the Fully paid option to turn off the screen and back on based on motion detected by the camera.  But the one thing I would love is some option to control my media playback.  I like to play MP3's while sleeping.  Can Amazon Fire OS do split screen?  Can ActionTiles play/pause my VLC app or other media app?  I would love easily control this media while still seeing my zones in one place.

I am using a Fire 8 with ActionTiles and FullyKiosk. I have the screen always on and a digital clock/date "screen saver". Camera motion wakes the screen and displays the ActionTiles panel. I'll post pictures once I get my new Konnected board set up and my old one reconfigured.

You could use a bluetooth connection to an external speaker to play your music. The only audio I have messed with is the Google Assistant APK and LANouncer. I'm sure you can control speaker levels through ActionTiles.

Yes on the BT speaker, that is what I am doing. I just don’t want to teach my wife how to switch between Fully and VLC.

How do you do the screen saver part? Is that part of Fully that I missed or some app? I was looking for the old Android daydream feature, but I don’t see that in the FireOS settings.

I completely understand how it is with the wife and technology!

I think the "website as a screensaver" is in the PLUS features of Fully.

Also, there is an application launcher in the PLUS features that I haven't tried yet that may help you launch VLC from Fully with a swipe from the left side of the screen.

Thanks for that feedback.  I think I have everything I need to get it mounted on the wall now.  As soon as I can find some time to put a hole in the wall.  Can't wait to get my Konnected board and everything working.

Pictures of my fire 8 with ActionTiles running on Fully kiosk. I don’t have all of my tiles up yet.

@ApexDestroyer13

Great looking Fire 8 installation. 

Question, what provisions are used to charge the tablet?

-Cheers

Greg, Nate sells the 12v to usb adapter in the Konnected store for about $8.  If you are replacing an alarm panel, you likely have an easy way to deliver the 12v from the Konnected board to the wall there.  You can use an "old work" type low voltage electrical box, connect panel wires with 12v to adapter, then attach usb cable.  The tablet could be mounted using 3m command strips to cover the box.  That is roughly my plan for this weekend.

Apex, nice looking.  Looks like you put your tablet in a case and mounted that to the wall.  What is that 3 day forecast tile?  It looks like an actual ActionTiles tile rather than the url based one you are using for the 7 day.  I think that one looks really good.  I want it.  I also want the clock screensaver.  Do you have the url for that?  I am definitely doing paying for the Fully features.

@Curt 

My question was ambiguous.  Just like Apex, I'm going to replace my existing alarm panel with a Fire 8 Tablet. What I'm attempting to discover is how to charge the Fire 8 tablet using its micro USB port. I believe USB power is 5VDC and would like to discover how Apex is charging his tablet without exposed charging wires. 

One option I've considered is to embed a 120VAC to 5VDC converter in the wall since there is currently AC available below the current alarm panel. If there is a more economical or simple solution that can be hidden in the wall I'm interested.  

-Cheers

I bought the 12v to 5v converter on Amazon for about $8. (This was before Konnected had a store). I used the existing wiring from the old control panel like Curt said. My wiring is 22/4 so I used 1 pair to power the tablet from the DIY Konnected board and the other pair to activate the buzzer (loud enough inside the junction box). Originally I mounted it to the wall with 3m contact Velcro strips. I was going to stick with this and buy a flat, 90 degree micro USB to hide the charging cable. Then Nate listed the 3d printed case and it included the flat cable. This was exactly what I was looking for and they quality is great.

I’m sure the converter in the low voltage jb is not up to code so I plan to eventually replace it with a high voltage jb and put in a recessed usb recepticla.

Once I get to my PC I’ll post the tiles info and the URL for the clock.

@Apex, 

Thank you for your post and pics. I also, purchased the 3D printed case with the flat cable. The missing link was the 12VDC to 5VDC converter and using the existing alarm panel 12VDC as the power source. Looks like its time to purchase a couple of 12 to 5 VDC converters. 

-Cheers

Oh man, I missed that.  store link to this frame

The video on that page also shows a guy installing 120v to usb  adapter.  Follow that to Youtube and he has link on Amazon for that particular converter.

I am going to do the 3m thing this weekend, but I might comeback and order this frame.  It does look good.

http://www.clocktab.com/

This is the url for the clock. It's customizable so it can match the style of your room. I have this set as the screen saver in FullyKiosk. You will need to visit the site and customize it first so that Fully can save the webpage cookies so that it doesn't revert back to the default style.

As for the weather tile, I have multiple and I am always searching for a better way to display the forecast. I like the Channel 11 one because when I tap it, I get a full-screen, decent resolution image. This is the one that I have noticed my wife and kids using in the morning.

The 3-day forecast matches the ActionTiles layout but the resolution is not so great. It is also customizable to match your tile layout.

If anyone finds a better option, let me know.

This is my weather

This is parameter adjustments instructions

There were 2 options available when I ordered the frame mount. The 1 I bought was made by Don Strenger and I’m not sure if it’s available anymore.

@ApexDestroyer13 - thanks for the screen saver link - using that with my fire tablet

I replaced three alarm keypads with Fire tablets. I haven’t received my Konnected Panel yet so am using the 12v power from the old panel (and the 12v to 5v USB adapters). My problem is the old panel does not provide enough amps to charge even one tablet when Fully is on and using the motion sensing and black screensaver solution to workaround the Fire lock screen issue.

My question is twofold: how many amps will the Konnected Panel provide, and can anyone with more knowledge of electrical circuitry than me suggest some sort of auxiliary power supply I can use at the panel? I have plenty of A/C outlets available at the panel but need to use the 12v wiring to the tablets that already exists.

The new Konnected panels do have an aux output. The siren output and the aux output are the same however the aux output is not switched and is always on. (They have a common “+”)
I would connect the tablets to this. 3 tablets would be a lot of load but you can try it.
Also the tablets do not have to be directly connected to the alarm panel. You might consider installing a recessed USB outlet for the tablets.

I recommend a separate power supply if you need to power three tablets. Just pick up an extra 12V power supply: https://konnected.io/collections/in-stock-now/products/power-adapter-us-12vdc-2a

and an adapter with screw terminals: https://konnected.io/collections/in-stock-now/products/dc-power-screw-terminal-adapter

You can power the tablets directly from that. 

Thanks Apex and Nate! After I posted my question this morning I found this post, which answered both of my questions. Unfortunately I went ahead and purchased the power adapter Nathan mentioned without realizing you have them too Nate -- and for less than what I paid! I am so geeked and can't wait to get my Konnected panel!

How do you customize the www.clocktab.com look?  I loaded Chrome and the standard internet browser on the tablet and changed the look, but it Fully Kiosk Browser it still looks the same.  Do I have to change the start url of FKB to load it through there and make the changes?  I ca't figure out how to leave my default start url as my ActionTiles url and go to the clocktab url.